So Glad 2 Be Me Summer Camp by Jen Charbonneau, RDH, CMC, BA, Creator/Facilitator

As summer winds down, so do the “So Glad 2 Be Me” Summer Camps for 8-12 yr old girls. I’m always amazed at how quickly the summer goes by. It seems like yesterday that I was excited and planning and organizing for another fun filled summer of So Glad 2 Be Me camps.

At any rate, I’ve enjoyed another amazing season with 8-12 yr old girls and it seems each camp was equally as fun as the one before.

My mission with this summer camp version of my program was to bring girls together in an informal setting and encourage them to share challenges, discover solutions, make new friends, make VERY cool crafts and have a lot of fun while building positive self-esteem, awareness and understanding of healthy body image and trying new practical tools for managing challenges.

It’s no secret that we live in a world where women of all ages measure their value based on a commercially-generated standard of beauty. Now more than ever, young girls need to recognize and embrace that beauty, love and self acceptance radiate from within.
Within an accepting, neutral environment, I watched these 8-12 yr olds find the courage to be themselves, know and value themselves and discover a sense of purpose and belonging. It never ceases to amaze me how insightful, informed and passionate this age group can be. It fills me up and warms my heart to watch these young girls feel a level of acceptance that helps them find their voice and embrace their inner beauty. When we spend an entire camp focusing on our positive strengths and attributes, self-esteem, self-acceptance and body image issues seem less predominant and more easily defeated.

This summer, the girls enjoyed numerous crafts, games and activities such as yoga, dance and meditation. Things like scrapbooking and jewellery making, posters and brochures allowed these girls to really discover their own uniqueness based on who they are, not what they look like.

Summer after summer, the So Glad 2 Be Me program is proving to build self-esteem, confidence and healthy body image and it is just such a pleasure for me to teach and celebrate with these young girls.

Here are a few comments from participants/parents:
"This workshop really helps girls feel better about themselves. Jen has a way of talking to us that other people usually don't. I LOVE So Glad 2 Be Me and I know now that I am beautiful inside and outside" ~ Jayda - age 10 ~

"Olivia has been RAVING about the summer camp! If I could, I'd send her to Jen every day so that she could do her magic and send her home to me with this great attitude!" ~ Tracy Facchin - Parent ~

Comments