"Why I chose to produce a documentary on orthorexia nervosa and use Hopewell as a resource by Tanya Miller- Carleton Journalism/Psychology Student


Through my research, discussions, and the media, I've noticed that there are a lot of misconceptions surrounding the symptoms and diagnoses of eating disorders, and wanted to address them in a way that was suitable for all audiences. After learning that there is a growing number of youth developing an eating disorder, I thought it was important to raise awareness about local support available, and draw attention to the individual and societal risk factors that contribute to an addiction. Since I am both a journalism and psychology student, I wanted to produce something that was objective, accurate, qualitative, and reflected informed voices from the community.
Although orthorexia nervosa first appeared in the late 20th century, it is still hotly debated. This, along with an interest in understanding the progression from healthy eating to problematic eating, was what initially fuelled my focus on orthorexia nervosa. I also wanted to examine the requirements needed before it can be considered an eating disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Lastly, I wanted to end on a positive note by presenting a lifestyle that has been controversial, but has the potential to be balanced and healthy, just like other less controversial lifestyles.
I made this documentary for everyone; the concerned family member, the educator, the curious."


Comments