Hopewell Faces of Recovery: Adam Coleman





Hi, I’m Adam! I’m in my late 20s and I am incredibly passionate about my friends and family, entrepreneurship, growing businesses, and anything automotive related. My background is in business and marketing; I have spent most of my career coaching entrepreneurs on starting and running profitable businesses. I now find myself both working in a tech company expanding its brand, and running my own automotive business.

I am interested in personal growth and development, mountain biking, travel, and I absolutely love anything to do with the hobby of cars—racing, modifying, etc. My journey with anorexia began when I was 14 when I took dieting too far. My journey to recovery was a four year process guided by my parents and CHEO.

What helped you recover from your ED?

Two things helped me recover:

1)     My parents. Without them I would not be alive.

2)     My stubbornness. I decided I no longer wanted to be sick and held myself accountable.

What helps you stay in recovery?

For me, being busy and having an incredibly full schedule helps me focus my attention on things that I am passionate about. Setting goals is an important part of staying in recovery, along with having friends and family who keep me accountable to my goals.

What do you wish people knew about  eating disorders?

As a male with an eating disorder, I wish that more people recognized that this is something that impacts all genders.

What advice do you have for someone who is currently living with an eating disorder?

 Do not be ashamed of having an eating disorder; there is absolutely no shame in seeking and receiving help and taking steps towards being healthy. Life post-ED is possible and wonderful.

Comments